Wednesday, October 13, 2004

An interesting twist...

A number of weeks ago I had the unique opportunity of rubbing shoulders with some of Bombay's top activists and intellectuals, though at the time I didn't know the interesting twist it would provide to my time here in the city of dreams.
It was at an event honoring Gandhi Jayanti, the yearly celebration of Gandhi's birthday. Our presence at the event was the result of the fact that we were and are representives of AJWS, and the organization has many contacts with individuals and groups doing activist work in the country. As such, it was something of a 'diplomatic' visit.

In any case, prior to the event, a ballet depicting various struggles in Gandhi's life, we were invited to a small buffet for 'VIPs'. (Being an ad hoc foreign rep of an organization has its perks...) At this small soire' I met a woman who is a professor of Islamic studies at a college not too far from my workplace. I mentioned to her that I was doing work on conflict resolution between Hindus and Muslims, and her ears perked up. I went on to tell her that part of that work involved doing research on Islam, and specifically, Islamic religious schools known as Madrassas. We almost had the idea at the same moment; she was interested in the work I was doing, I was interested in the work she was doing, so why not a meeting? Thrilled, she said, see you on Teusday.

We met the following week at St. Xavier's college, the college she teaches at, over chai. We chatted for a bit, sharing something of our respective backgrounds, when she jumped in.

"I have to admit, I have a bit of a modus operendi... I am interested in the work you're doing with Hindus and Muslims, but I'm more interested in work that might occur between Muslims and another religious group, work that I feel is a bit more pressing." I paused, somewhat perplexed. "You're a Jew raised in American orthodox family interested in learning about contemporary Islam. I am a professor of Islam deeply concerned not only about the fate of my people but how peace might be found in this world. We have something to offer each other, no?"

I was astounded. I had come for a little information, maybe the names of a couple of good books, maybe some contacts of people studying the Hindu/Muslim conflict. I found myself the representative of all the Jewish people in a dialogue I couldn't have dreamed of.

Each week, she suggested, we will meet for a couple of hours; I will share with her the nature of my tradition, and she will share with me the nature of hers.

I came to India in hopes of learning what it means to do work in the field of conflict resolution, and there's no doubt in my mind that this opportunity is a good step in mending a relationship that needs much healing. Am I nervous? Of course. How can I represent a whole religion fairly and with some degree of objectivity? What do I know? What can I offer? While I think that these fears need to be honored and taken into account, I won't let them prevent something of importance from happening, even if it means that I share only what I know I can give honestly: my viewpoint.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home